The Days are Long, but the Years are Short
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

The Story behind the "Song"

Thought I'd give a little background on the Baby Brother song. This song was sung by The Quinto Sisters back in the 60's (click here to go to their site to learn more about them and to hear all their fabulous songs; they sang Holly Jolly Christmas before Burl Ives). Christmas of 1981, my mom was pregnant with my brother Eric; they did not know they were having a boy though. Our family consisted of Andrea age 5, Annalee age 4, Anita age 3 and I was a little younger than Claire is now, so we really had a shortage of boys. My sister's music teacher gave them this song to sing at our family Christmas Party. It was a big hit; it was really cool when my mom ended up having a boy one month later. So I guess you could say this song is family tradition.

When we told my mom we were expecting, she sang this song to my girls. She still knew it word for word. I thought it would be cute to have my girls sing it. We had a pretty good idea it was going to be a boy, so I started looking for the song. It took me about 2 hours to find who originally sang the song. I was on my last search page and I read something about The Quinto Sisters. I went to their site and found the song. I contacted one of the Quinto sisters to see if they had sheet music to that song; they didn't because their mom just taught them the parts to sings; none of them read music. I finally just resorted to playing the song online for my girls to learn because I could not find anywhere to buy the song or the sheet music.

My girls learned the song pretty quick. Both of them have the song memorized; Claire even knows all the words, but she was more interested in providing the backup dancing than singing. I finally asked my mom how we sang Baby Brother. She said she had the sheet music. It wasn't in the best shape, but I was able to piece it together. It is the girls' current favorite song to sing and dance to. They are very excited for their baby brother. We hope you all enjoy the song as much as we do.

3 comments:

Lisa-Marie said...

That is really special. Thanks for sharing. I had thought you made it up. I would not have been surprised had you had.

Hope your pregnancy continues to go well!

Happy Holidays!

the.lamb.castle@gmail.com said...

That is so cool! Very fun story!
Heidi

Elizabeth said...

That is so cool! Had a great time with you on thanksgiving talk to you later
Lizzy