Here are some pictures of the boys. I will warn you that Joseph will look much different from Hyrum as he had been dead for 3 weeks before I delivered him. His features were all still very apparent, and he looks like a baby. When Samuel saw him, he said (with a smile on his face) BABY! It was a very sweet, tender moment holding Joseph with our other children. They were not at all scared. I talked to them about what he would look like. I also showed them pictures of some other babies that had died around the same age so they would know what to expect. I told them they could decide if they wanted to see him.
Sydney told me "Why wouldn't I want to hold him? This is my only chance to hold him". They all love their little brothers very much.
Sydney told me "Why wouldn't I want to hold him? This is my only chance to hold him". They all love their little brothers very much.
Here is Hyrum minutes after he was born.



This is my dad, Grandpa Steven (we call him Grandpa Dewey; long story) whom Joseph was named after, holding Joseph.

The girls put on gloves and moved Joseph's legs and arms.

They also kissed his head. They were so sweet with him. With how they were treating him, you would almost think he was alive.

Joseph's head and abdomen were filled with fluid, and you can see in this picture how large they were in relation to his arms and legs. You can also see Eli's wedding band by Joesph's arm.

Claire and Joseph
The only picture of me with my boys. Samuel looks grumpy, but he was just really tired. It was about 10 pm; much, much later than his bedtime.
My awesome siblings got me these flowers, picture frame and a new robe. Three of my sisters came to see me the day I delivered the babies. They actually got to see Hyrum before I did. My mom was also a trooper that day. We had called her at 4:30 am to see if she could meet us in Price (she was in Lehi, about 1 1/2 hours away) and take our children back down to Ferron. Later on Eli called her and asked her to bring the children up to the hospital in Salt Lake where they had life flighted me (almost 3 hours from Ferron), so she packed for all of them and brought them up. They didn't leave the hospital until around 10 pm. It was a super long day for her too.
Here are the beautiful flowers from Eli's parent's. I love the color combination. 
Joseph's feet in relation to my pinky finger.

Joseph and I with the blanket I made for him.

Eli's hand and Joseph
Our only family picture with all of us. One of the NICU nurses made me a scrapbook page with a picture of Hyrum and that's what Sydney is holding.
When it was time to put Joseph back in his box to take him to the mortuary, Sydney had a really hard time. She told me "I just love babies so much. I don't want to let him go". This has been hard for her because she can't see Hyrum, and Joseph died. She is such a mother hen, and it's hard that she doesn't have any babies to take care of. She had prayed for twins, and a few weeks before I found out what I was having, she told me I was going to have a boy. You can't really tell in this picture, but she is sobbing and not wanting to let go of Joseph.
Here is Sydney at the mortuary with Joseph's box (she and Claire had borrowed some dress-ups from Auntie Ewa). She also had a hard time at the mortuary. She has such a tender heart. 
When it was time to put Joseph back in his box to take him to the mortuary, Sydney had a really hard time. She told me "I just love babies so much. I don't want to let him go". This has been hard for her because she can't see Hyrum, and Joseph died. She is such a mother hen, and it's hard that she doesn't have any babies to take care of. She had prayed for twins, and a few weeks before I found out what I was having, she told me I was going to have a boy. You can't really tell in this picture, but she is sobbing and not wanting to let go of Joseph.
Here is Sydney at the mortuary with Joseph's box (she and Claire had borrowed some dress-ups from Auntie Ewa). She also had a hard time at the mortuary. She has such a tender heart. 
And to end on a happy note, here is my first time touching Hyrum. It was such an interesting/emotional experience touching him for the first time, 5 days I after I delivered him. I feel empty, not being pregnant and not having a baby to take care of. I'm pumping milk and freezing it for him, but it's not the same as having a baby around. Hopfully the next 3 months go by quickly.














9 comments:
This was an amazing and such a moving post. I love how your girls took to Joseph and didn't want him to go...beautiful! Wish we were closer to Utah to go to the funeral. Our prayers and thoughts are with you all!
Oh Angela, those pictures are priceless. I love the pictures of Claire and Sydney with baby Joseph. I hope Hyrum is doing well! (And the rest of you, too!)
Oh my goodness Ang !! How do you do it ? Everytime I look at this post I cry like a baby ! I can't even begin to imagine what you go through every day :( I'm so sorry :'( What a strong wonderful person you are.... I love you and your family so much ! Hugs and Kisses
~Anita~....~Anita Bear~.... and ~Dita~
Angela, thank you for sharing your sweet blog with me. I love you, your family, and your faithfulness in the face of such trying times.
I'm thankful that you have Hyrum to look forward to.
Thanks for sharing your story with us. I learn from your wonderful example. What great pictures! What sweet girls you have. I can't imagine how hard this is. I hope these 3 months fly by for you!
Thank you for sharing with us and for helping us be part of Joseph's life. Even though Joseph had a very short life, he is still lucky to have you as his family.
Thanks for being a good example. I know that whenever I have trials and hardships, even like this, I have someone to look up to- you. I love you bunches! Let the whole fam know I love them, too!
Apparently I don't get out much or talk to people here often enough. I caught a glance of you at back to school night and could have sworn you weren't pregnant any more, I was right. I'm so sorry for your trials and I hope and pray that things will go smoothly for you and Hyrum. The pictures are so sweet and I'm sure you will cherish them forever. I can't imagine what you are going through. Please let me know if I can help in anyway, even if it is a meal or watching the other kids.
Emily
Angela, this is one of those times when I just don't know what to say. I think I was subconsciously thinking of you when I wrote my blog post last night. Amazing that when you need the comfort, instead you gave it to me. I was okay until I saw that picture of you holding your baby....and smiling. Thank you for sharing. My love and prayers are with you and your adorable family.
oh ang. you're my hero.
you really made me cry reading and looking at your pictures. you guys are so amazingly strong, I can't believe it! You're a true inspiration! I would love to come up and see you at the hospital. I'd love more details.
Post a Comment