What a great weekend we had!
I am so thankful for all those that came and supported us.
Saturday morning we went to the mortuary to dress Joseph in a little white robe that I had made for him. I thought it would be too big, but it fit just right.
His body looked much better than I thought it would; it looked better than when we dropped it off two weeks ago. The fluid had drained off of his tummy.
It was such a neat experience once again holding his little body. The girls did really well. They of course wanted to hold him one last time. I had purchased some little babies for them that were about the same size as Joseph that we gave to them at the mortuary. I put them in his casket and they were able to take them out when we put Joseph in there. It worked out really nice. My mom came to the mortuary with us, and I am so thankful that she did. She took some great pictures and then she took the children out to the car so Eli and I had a few moments together with Joseph. I know I'll see him again someday, and he'll look so much better than he did, but it was still hard putting him in there knowing that his little body was going to be put in the ground.
Saturday was also Eli and I's 8th anniversary. It was very fitting that we would spend our anniversary celebrating the short life of someone that we created.
Our graveside service was very short and simple. Eli's mom gave the opening prayer, my mom read a poem, our family sang I Am A Child of God, Eli gave a talk and then dedicated the grave. Afterwards, we let the children release blue balloons. Three of the balloons had notes from the girls and I to Joseph. It was neat because after the balloons had been released, one of them took off on it's own and made a straight shot up towards heaven.
It was a very neat day; one which I will not soon forget.
We love you Joseph Steven and can't wait to see you again someday.
My mom carved his name on the top of his casket. She did a really good job.
Our good friend Mark Debry helped Eli with the casket. It was really neat that Eli was able to be so involved with the little details of Joseph's burial.
My mom with our children and the casket at the mortuary.
Getting Joseph dressed.




My grandma wanted to look inside the casket, so we opened it back up. I'm glad we did because Sydney was able to tuck him in one last time. She and Claire put little notes, rocks and a feather in there with him. Sydney arranged him just how she wanted him.

My sister took this sweet picture of Samuel. 

My sister took this sweet picture of Samuel. 
The flowers were done by my very talented Aunt Jeanette, current First Lady of Utah (how many people can claim that the flowers for their funeral were done by a First Lady?) =)
This was the only time that Claire cried at the graveside. Sydney had a pretty hard time throughout the service; she cried the entire time. Claire was pretty happy until we put his box in the ground.
Because this is Ferron and because Eli likes to do things his way, he was able to put Joseph's casket into the vault himself.
A friend had given me two white roses so we let the girls put them on top of his casket.
The Ferron City Cemetery is so peaceful. I'm glad that he has a quite, peacful place to rest.
This was the only time that Claire cried at the graveside. Sydney had a pretty hard time throughout the service; she cried the entire time. Claire was pretty happy until we put his box in the ground.
Because this is Ferron and because Eli likes to do things his way, he was able to put Joseph's casket into the vault himself.
A friend had given me two white roses so we let the girls put them on top of his casket.
The Ferron City Cemetery is so peaceful. I'm glad that he has a quite, peacful place to rest.
8 comments:
Dear Angela,
That was precious!!! Thank you for sharing some of your most intimate moments with us so we could all get a glimpse into HEAVEN! I am so grateful I got to be a part of it with you...I will never forget how sweet it was to be with your incredible family at the mortuary Saturday morning. May the healing balm of the Savior stay with you and your family forever. Love, Mother
Dear Angela,
I haven't looked on your blog for a long time and I'm so glad I did tonight. As I was reading the words about your twins I started to cry and remembered how we buried my nephew (who was stillborn a week before he was to come into the world) about 17 months ago. I know that I will be able to see my nephew again and I know you will be able to see your boy again as well. The knowledge of the gospel is so amazing and having the knowledge that moms will be able to raise their babies in the hereafter is so amazing. I can't wait to see my nephew again. The day we found he was gone I cried for a long time but was so grateful for the prayers in my families behalf. My prayers are with you and your family. Tomorrow during my lunch hour at work I will put names on the prayer roll here in Rexburg. I hope Hyrum continues to progress and you recieve good news. Thanks for you words and testimony. You are such an inspiration to many. May the Lord bless you and the Savior stay with you and your family forever!!
Angela & Eli,
I'm so touched and amazed at you and your sweet little family as you go through this experience. Little Joseph is so lucky to have such amazing parents, as are all your children. Thanks for sharing your experiences with the rest of us. I love the pictures from the burial and am sure you will treasure them forever. Take care!
What a special experience. Thank you for sharing it with us. I loved the neat pictures that you have to keep forever from all of this. You guys have such a great family!
Angela and Eli,
You two are the strongest and sweetest people I know! Thank you so much for sharing this. I am so glad that we all have the gospel it makes death a lot easier. Your family is so cute and grown up. Thanks for being a true friend and sharing your light with everyone you come in contact with. Take care. We love you!
After reading your blog and all the comments that have been made, I just have to say that I too, feel thankful for your faith, your family, your strong bonds, your willingness to accept our Father's will and for sharing it all with me. I cqan tell the Lord is with you. So are my prayers for your continued comfort and feelings of our Savior's love for you.
I am so sorry to hear about all that is going on in your life. What a tremendous few months you have had.
Thank you for sharing that with me. I know that we all have our own struggles in life. Isn't it nice to know that Heavenly Father knows each of us individually.
What beautiful boys you have.
Aw, what a beautiful ceremony! You did a great job! I know if I live in Utah I would definitely drive up to be there. Alas, I'm still in Kansas so the best I could do is to pray for you and think about Joseph.
Thank you for sharing, Sister McMillan! I love you!
Post a Comment