We were able to bring Hyrum home on November 6th (his 3 month birthday).
He is on oxygen, but is otherwise doing great.
It's been quite the adjustment having to wake up at night to feed him.
He's mostly bottled fed (with my milk) so he can receive extra calories to gain weight.
He nurses well, but he doesn't gain weight well (must take after Eli), so we bottle feed him.
The children are all excited to have him home. Samuel especially loves his little brother (he calls him 'buddy'). The first time he saw him, his face just lit up. Now he is always going in to talk to him and to take him treasures (cookies, balls, toys). So far we haven't had any issues with sibling rivalry. Samuel was the one I worried the most about, but he has been fine.
Since Hyrum is on oxygen, I don't get out much because it's so hard to go anywhere. I've had to have people take Sydney to and from school. I hate asking for help, but this entire pregnancy has pretty much put me a position where I have to ask for help. That has been one of the hardest things for me.
I am so thankful for how things have turned out and for all the help we have received. As hard as this whole ordeal has been, I can say that it has been worth it. I have learned so much, and I have so much to be thankful for.
We had such a wonderful experience this time with doctors and nurses. I know we were led to those who were best able to help us. St. Mark's Hospital NICU is a great place with wonderful doctors and nurses. I really felt like they loved Hyrum like he was their own. The doctor that was on duty on the day we brought Hyrum home got teary eyed while he was talking to us. He was just so happy for us and for Hyrum. He also told us that in his 20 years of working, he has never had a baby that was born as early as Hyrum was, do as well as Hyrum did. Hyrum had virtually no problems. They were a little concerned about his eyes, but we went to the eye doctor last week and he said Hyrum's eyes are just where they need to be.
I've been thinking a lot lately about my experience, and specifically about their birth. By the time I got to the hospital to deliver, I was just so out of it. I hadn't slept at all the night before, I was having very strong contractions, and things were completely out of my control. I was spent, emotionally and physically. Prior to delivery, one of the NICU doctors came and spoke with me and pretty much gave me a worst case scenario for Hyrum. I don't remember a lot of what she said, but it wasn't good. I think they prepare you for the worst so you know up front what to expect, but it was just so hard to hear what she had to say and deal with everything else. She said that he would be in the NICU until at least his due date (give or take two weeks), and because of that he would get sick. It's when, not if they get sick. Being in the hospital for an extended period of time almost guarantee's you're going to get sick. Well, Hyrum didn't get sick, and he has exceeded everyone's expectations. He's our little fighter. As I read other's accounts of their stays in the NICU, I realize how fortunate we were.
Hyrum is such a sweet little addition to our family, and we are all so happy to have him home (even if I do wake up several times a night with him). =)
Thank you again everyone that has helped us or given words of encouragement and prayers. This has been a pretty rough year for our family. Since the birth of our babies, we have had two other deaths of close friends to deal with. It has been hard, especially on the girls, but once again I am grateful for the Plan of Salvation and what that means for my family. I know we will see Joseph, and all others near and dear to us whom we have lost, again. Death is sad because we are separated from those we love, and because we can't remember what the other side is like. Perhaps if we remembered what was waiting for us, we wouldn't be quite so sad.
I tend to be rather wordy, but I really want to remember the things I've learned and experienced. I am currently writing a pretty in depth account of what happened and I may post it when I'm done (for those of you who care to know). I have videoed each of my children's birth's, until this one. There are some moments that are just too hard to relive. Since I won't have a video to show Hyrum of his birth, I am writing quite a bit more about his birth, hoping that will somehow be sufficient.
After that wordy introduction, here are some pictures.
He is on oxygen, but is otherwise doing great.
It's been quite the adjustment having to wake up at night to feed him.
He's mostly bottled fed (with my milk) so he can receive extra calories to gain weight.
He nurses well, but he doesn't gain weight well (must take after Eli), so we bottle feed him.
The children are all excited to have him home. Samuel especially loves his little brother (he calls him 'buddy'). The first time he saw him, his face just lit up. Now he is always going in to talk to him and to take him treasures (cookies, balls, toys). So far we haven't had any issues with sibling rivalry. Samuel was the one I worried the most about, but he has been fine.
Since Hyrum is on oxygen, I don't get out much because it's so hard to go anywhere. I've had to have people take Sydney to and from school. I hate asking for help, but this entire pregnancy has pretty much put me a position where I have to ask for help. That has been one of the hardest things for me.
I am so thankful for how things have turned out and for all the help we have received. As hard as this whole ordeal has been, I can say that it has been worth it. I have learned so much, and I have so much to be thankful for.
We had such a wonderful experience this time with doctors and nurses. I know we were led to those who were best able to help us. St. Mark's Hospital NICU is a great place with wonderful doctors and nurses. I really felt like they loved Hyrum like he was their own. The doctor that was on duty on the day we brought Hyrum home got teary eyed while he was talking to us. He was just so happy for us and for Hyrum. He also told us that in his 20 years of working, he has never had a baby that was born as early as Hyrum was, do as well as Hyrum did. Hyrum had virtually no problems. They were a little concerned about his eyes, but we went to the eye doctor last week and he said Hyrum's eyes are just where they need to be.
I've been thinking a lot lately about my experience, and specifically about their birth. By the time I got to the hospital to deliver, I was just so out of it. I hadn't slept at all the night before, I was having very strong contractions, and things were completely out of my control. I was spent, emotionally and physically. Prior to delivery, one of the NICU doctors came and spoke with me and pretty much gave me a worst case scenario for Hyrum. I don't remember a lot of what she said, but it wasn't good. I think they prepare you for the worst so you know up front what to expect, but it was just so hard to hear what she had to say and deal with everything else. She said that he would be in the NICU until at least his due date (give or take two weeks), and because of that he would get sick. It's when, not if they get sick. Being in the hospital for an extended period of time almost guarantee's you're going to get sick. Well, Hyrum didn't get sick, and he has exceeded everyone's expectations. He's our little fighter. As I read other's accounts of their stays in the NICU, I realize how fortunate we were.
Hyrum is such a sweet little addition to our family, and we are all so happy to have him home (even if I do wake up several times a night with him). =)
Thank you again everyone that has helped us or given words of encouragement and prayers. This has been a pretty rough year for our family. Since the birth of our babies, we have had two other deaths of close friends to deal with. It has been hard, especially on the girls, but once again I am grateful for the Plan of Salvation and what that means for my family. I know we will see Joseph, and all others near and dear to us whom we have lost, again. Death is sad because we are separated from those we love, and because we can't remember what the other side is like. Perhaps if we remembered what was waiting for us, we wouldn't be quite so sad.
I tend to be rather wordy, but I really want to remember the things I've learned and experienced. I am currently writing a pretty in depth account of what happened and I may post it when I'm done (for those of you who care to know). I have videoed each of my children's birth's, until this one. There are some moments that are just too hard to relive. Since I won't have a video to show Hyrum of his birth, I am writing quite a bit more about his birth, hoping that will somehow be sufficient.
After that wordy introduction, here are some pictures.
Hyrum's coming home outfit; it says "Mommy's Big Boy". It's a preemie size; with my previous 8 pound plus babies, I've never had to buy such a small outfit.
This is Dr. Belfort and his assistant Carrie. Dr. Belfort saved Hyrum's life by performing the laser surgery. I am so thankful to him and his staff. Great people.
This is Dr. LaPine, the only male doctor in the NICU. This was the day we brought Hyrum home.
Here is Eli, "driving" like a mad man as we finally leave the hospital with Hyrum.
My mom made this cute sign for us. She had 5 balloons; 2 pink (for Sydney and Claire) and 3 blue (for Samuel, Joseph and Hyrum). Interestingly, only one blue balloon lost it's air. It just died (there were no holes in it). So this little balloon bouquet really represents our little family.
Here's is Hyrum's first bath given by me (he had a lot of baths in the hospital, none of which I got to see). He looks like a little doll.
Here is Hyrum Daniel with Grandpa Daniel (Eli's father). Hyrum was named after him.
Here's a little smile that Eli's mom got out of Hyrum. He is looking fat and happy.
Eli's mom had bought plane tickets to come out before I even had the babies. It worked out perfectly that they arrived the day after we brought Hyrum home. It was so fun to have them here and to have their help with the children. Daniel and Eli stayed busy putting in a coal stove in our house (my house is at a nice 83 degrees all the time; I really like it). We were sad to see them go, but they have to come out again sometime soon when we bless Hyrum. Lucky us.




















5 comments:
Fun to see the pictures! I'm so glad you've got him home and healthy.
Wow-he has gotten so big! It sounds like you met some seriously amazing doctors and nurses. What a blessing!
I'm so happy he is finally home and that he did so well in the hospital. He really is SO cute (not that that's a surprise with all of your other darling kids)!
glad to hear he is home and that he is doing okay. it was so good to see you last month!!
becca
I am so happy he's home!!!! I love you guys! :) MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!
Post a Comment